I am feeling better today than I have been, enough to take a 2.25 mile walk but now a few hours later I am exhausted and feel weak again. I have a feeling my poor health this week has been do to stress and poor sleep these past few weeks. I’m waking up entirely too early in the mornings and my sleep has been poor. Insomnia is nothing new to me. Even with a prescription for Ambien every night. I am still a poor sleeper. I just feel mentally and physically exhausted, it’s been a rough year! But it’s getting better.
I need to work on some stress reduction and relaxation techniques. I worry too much and always have. Having others tell me to relax or even tell myself to relax is easier said than done. But I am trying! I found an article on WebMD with 10 relaxation tips to get rid of stress fast. I am going to give there techniques a try and here are things I already do in the areas they suggested.
1. Meditate: this is something I have tried before bed and it does help me when I can calm down enough to get into it.
2. Breathe deeply: this goes with mediation for me. I have been in various in and out patient therapy groups during my life and have learned breathing techniques. I really need to apply them in my life right now!
3. Be present: don’t worry about the past and don’t focus too much on the future. I’ve gotten much better about this but still have a ways to go.
4. Reach out: I do this via social networking and by talking to my family and the few friends I have.
5. Tune in to your body: I can tell where my stress is right now, my head aches and my shoulders are very tense. I need to work on these areas and relax!
6. Decompress: a hot bath helps me and my peppermint oil that I rub on my head and temples for my headaches, both help relax me. Massages help too!
7. Laugh out loud: going to a comedy show or watching my favorite comedian on YouTube always helps me relax, one of the ways I overcame my depression was learning how to laugh again.
8. Crank up the tunes: I love listening to music, mainly in my car. Sometimes I’ll just hop in the car and drive with the radio up.
9. Get moving: exercise or a simple walk helps me. I’ve been slacking in this department this year due to my health problems but I have been slowly easing back into it.
10. Be grateful: they suggest journaling, this blog is my journal. Sharing my feelings and trying to work through them has helped me all these years.
Do you have any techniques that work for you? Share them with me!